HINDUISM,SANATAN DHARM,VEDAS ARE ROOTS.
Science in Vedas
HINDUISM AT A GLANCE
ARCHEOLOGY OF INDIA
SHANKHNAD -INDIAN POLITICS ,Hinduism and other rel...
VEDIC ORGANIZATIONS IN USA
AYURVED in HINDI
LIBRARY OF SACRED TEXTS
Global Hinduism and its History
Saturday, January 18, 2014
Little London of India
Little “London of India”, Munnar, Kerala
* It is a hill station in Kerala and in southern India.
* Munnar is located on the
, situated in the Idukki.
* The name Munnar is believed to mean “three rivers”, referring to the town’s strategic location at the confluence of the Madhurapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundaly rivers.
* The town has shared a strong cultural link with Tamil Nadu and over 70% of the population of the town being
* Munnar tops the list of travelers headed to south India especially Kerala.
* Situated at the confluence of three mountain chains, Munnar is known for its climate and tea estates.
* The green hill station also boats of the highest mountain in south India – Anaimudi.
* Because of the likeness with the
climate of London
the erst while British officers made it their summer resort and affectionately labeled it “little London”.
* Munnar is also known for the exotic flower “
” that blooms once in 12 years and bathes the whole landscape in blues color.
* The Munnar town is in
Kannan Devan Hills
( KDH ) Village in Devikulam taluk and is the largest panchayat in the
having an area measuring nearly 557 km².
* The nearest major railway stations are at Ernakulam and Aluva (approximately 120 km by road).
* The nearest airport is
Cochin International Airport
, which is 140 km away.
* The wildlife sanctuary of Eravikulam is an ideal trekking zone.
* Just after the monsoon season in first half of August the world-famous Kerala
Snake Boat Race
is held in Alleyppy near Munnar.
Posted by Decoding Hinduism
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
little london of india
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)